Are you looking for a position where you can make a tremendous difference in the lives of animals and our community? Does the idea of caring for rescues in need appeal to you? As our Shelter Assistant, you will have the opportunity to become a key member of our team, providing compassionate, effective and efficient care, program delivery and services.
Our Shelter Assistant is someone who is looking for a purposeful position, and appreciates a variety of daily challenges. Under the direction of the Shelter Manager, this position is responsible for ensuring the essential needs of the animals under the care of the Lac La Biche Regional Humane Society (LLBRHS) are met. This position also assists the Shelter Administrator with administrative tasks, volunteer/foster management, community outreach, marketing, and program development. through the efficient performance of daily tasks, excellent organizational skills, and appropriate follow-through action in a respectful and positive culture.
Education and Experience Qualifications
● High school diploma or equivalent
● Post Secondary Diploma in Veterinary Office or Animal Health Assistant, Veterinary Technologist or animal related field of study preferred
● A sound knowledge of animals, breeds, characteristics, and common diseases considered an asset
● Previous kennel or animal care experience considered an asset
● Previous fundraising, volunteer management and media experience considered an asset
● Valid Class 5 Driver’s license
Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent of required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
● Genuine interest and compassion for animals, with demonstrated passion for animal welfare
● Ability to work within a fast-paced, dynamic, and changing priority environment with minimal supervision
● Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), organization, prioritization, time management, and problem-solving skills with a high attention to detail
● Ability to work independently and as part of a dynamic team
● Knowledge of computer programs (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook) and social media/web (an asset)
● Ability to maintain confidentiality and reserve judgment
Physical and Working Environment
This position isn’t for everyone as it can be messy, smelly, and at times stressful, but if making a significant difference in the lives of shelter animals is something you are passionate about, this just might be the most fulfilling and purpose-driven job you’ve ever had! Normal mental and visual attention required. Physical efforts require regular bending, reaching, kneeling, standing, lifting, carrying and restraining animals, and the operation of vehicles and equipment. Work requires potential exposure to sick animals, frequent interruptions, high noise levels, animal feces, animal allergens, bites, scratches, adverse weather, traffic, cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, etc. Safety procedures must be adhered to at all times. This position may require working occasional weekends, holidays and beyond normal scheduled hours depending on the needs of the organization.
LLBRHS incorporated as a non-profit society & registered charity with the following mission:
To enable the provision of humane treatment of animals who would otherwise be neglected, mistreated or killed, & to relieve their pain & suffering through educational efforts as well as direct intervention. We believe that the neglect of local animals is a regional problem and is deserving of a regional solution.
We are currently restructuring due to growth so it is an exciting time here at LLBRHS! This is a new position & is an afternoon shift (11 am to 7 pm proposed, with some flexibility).
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and post will remain open until suitable candidate is found.
Whether you are a resident or not, you might be surprised by the charm, character and exciting experiences in beautiful...Apply For This Job
Looking for a reminder of why you became a veterinarian? We can help! Step away from the corporate hustle and...Apply For This Job
*Position is based in Las Vegas, NV* Offering relocation assistance. Full-time and part-time opportunities available. About You: Finding the right...Apply For This Job
**LOOKING TO HIRE ASAP** Looking to hire part time and full time vet assistance, must be comfortable with cats and...Apply For This Job
Judge Veterinary Medicine Professional Corporation is seeking four (4) full-time Veterinarians (Small Animal) to work at its Owen Sound Veterinary...Apply For This Job
Pets People Practice AB Inc. is seeking two (2) full time Veterinarians (Small Animal) to work at its Grande Prairie...Apply For This Job