The Central Toronto Veterinary and Referral & Emergency Clinic (CTVRC/EC) is a premier specialty referral and emergency centre, owned and operated by two Canadian Veterinarians. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality of care in the areas of surgery, internal medicine, oncology, and emergency medicine.
Our mission is to lead in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of medical and surgical diseases. To provide the highest quality of veterinary care to our patients in an environment tailored to meet the needs of our patients, our clients and our staff.
We are committed to providing an equal opportunity to all employees and strive to create a diverse workplace. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/persons of colour, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ2S, and others who help us provide the fulsome veterinary care we strive for. Our clinics rotations are unique and designed to support your health, well-being, and work-life balance offering a consistent schedule of 10hr and/or 12hr shifts spaced to allow for adequate time off.
Central Toronto Veterinary Referral and Emergency Clinic is seeking to fill the role of Animal Care Assistant, Oncology (ACA). Our ACAs are vital members of our team and directly contribute to providing excellent patient care in a fast-paced environment. Working under the supervision and work guidance of our Veterinarians and/or Veterinary Technicians, our ACAs support the delivery of advanced veterinary care for service lines including Internal Medicine, Surgery and Emergency/Critical Care. You will be responsible for assisting with procedures, treatments and diagnostics, maintaining the clinics cleanliness and organization, and contributing positively to the overall customer service experience. This may include but is not limited to assisting with responding to emergency care situations (crashing patients), preparing patients for anesthetics and surgical procedures (e.g. fracture repairs, mass removals, etc.), CT Scans, endoscopes, completing laundry duties and other cleaning responsibilities, and reprocessing & cleaning medical equipment.
Job Duties include, but are not limited to:
· Accountable for the daily cleanliness of the Oncology treatment area and surrounding basement area which includes but is not limited to vacuuming and mopping the lower level, removing garbage bags, and general tidiness
· Assists with for full scope laundry duties, including running bring soiled laundry to washing area, running wash cycles, running dry cycles, folding laundry, and replenishing folded laundry in treatment areas
· Accountable for ensuring cleanliness of kennels, runs and cages, including ones in use by patients and vacant of patients in the Oncology treatment area. This includes ensuring bedding is clean, cage walls and floors are free of debris and clean using hospital grade cleaner.
· Accountable for ensuring oncology supplies are fully stocked and frequently replenished; items may include but are not limited to needles, syringes, gauze squares, and fluid bags.
· Accountable for setting up for chemotherapy treatments and restraining patient(s) while technician delivers the treatment. This may include but is not limited to drawing up sterile saline, IV Catheter set up, and setting up oncology specific PPE.
· Assists Oncologist and/or Veterinary Technician with staging, which includes setting up and restraining patients for x-rays, ultrasounds and CTs
· Assists Oncologist and/or Veterinary Technician with varied diagnostics, including but not limited to blood draws and find needle aspirates
· Is accountable for clean up post-procedures, treatments and diagnostics which may include cleaning sharps, biohazardous waste (e.g. bodily excrement), and other hazardous materials
· Under the instruction of the Oncologist or Veterinary Technician, assists staff in the admission and discharge of patients by retrieving patients from their owners or returning patients to their owners
· Answers and addresses client inquiries, where appropriate, that have been directed to and are specific to the Oncology service; if an emergency, urgently escalates phone call to Veterinary Technician
· Preforms basic charting, record keeping (e.g. treatments), and inputting of laboratory results in patient files and chemo charts
· Ensures the ongoing comfort of in hospital patients and outpatients, such as ensuring clean bedding and kennel/cage, using appropriate animal care behaviours/techniques and not acting in an aggressive manner toward patients
· Is accountable for talking canine patients on routine walks, maintaining the integrity & cleanliness of any indwelling equipment or catheters (e.g. central lines, IV Catheters, urinary catheters)
· Is accountable for ensuring feline patients have clean litter pans, free of feces or urine
· Delivers basic nursing care such as ice packing or applying heating pads
· High school diploma; completion of Post-Secondary Animal Care Program preferred
· Minimum 1-year experience in hands on animal care environment, including but not limited to veterinary clinic, wildlife center, or shelter
· Demonstrated teamwork and collaboration
· Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and effectively manage multiple demands in a fast-paced environment
· Demonstrated client service experience, including providing excellent and friendly patient care and meeting client’s needs
· Effective and clear communication abilities, both written and verbal
· Competitive hourly rate of pay commensurate with education and experience
· Shift premiums
· Comprehensive benefits package, including access to Employee Assistance Program
· Staff pet allowance
· Paid sick days
· Staff appreciation perks (snack table, team events)
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code Central Toronto Veterinary Referral & Emergency Clinic will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment and selection process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.
You will be contacted if we believe your skills and experience will make you successful in the role. If you are selected to move forward, the process will include interview and/or assessments and reference checks.
Are you a small animal Veterinarian looking for a slower, quieter life in a rural setting where you can practice...Apply For This Job
Exceptional Niagara-on-the-Lake Veterinary Hospital Seeking Associate Greetings Fellow Veterinarians, I’m Dr Jim Turpel, head veterinarian, surgeon and owner of Upper...Apply For This Job
We are looking for two full time registered veterinary technicians to join our team of over 30 devoted pet care...Apply For This Job
We are looking for a dynamic person to join Breadner Vet’s Top Receptionist Team! Applicant MUST submit a Cover Letter...Apply For This Job
Properties Animal Clinic is a well established, private veterinary clinic with an outstanding reputation in Calgary and beyond. Our location...Apply For This Job
Pets People Practice AB Inc. is seeking two (2) full time Veterinarians (Small Animal) to work at its Grande Prairie...Apply For This Job